In this “Behind the screenplay” post we’re letting you know a little more about the nightmare peddlers and They Sold Nightmares screenplay.
They Sold Nightmares revolves around Abdelaziz Subaghra who practices the final sale of nightmares to those that dare to travel beneath street levels to the depths that were paved and built over. You don’t awaken from a nightmare delivered by Abdelaziz because whoever paid Mr. Subaghra to deliver it gave up something invaluable to punish the recipient.
Inspired by folklore about the popobawa, the kanashibari and ghost oppression (otherwise understood to be as sleep paralysis), They Sold Nightmares establishes a world beneath the surface in which nefarious individuals peddle nightmares and other illicit services openly.
They Sold Nightmares writing playlist:
1. Sweet Nightmares – araabMUZIK
2. Breathing Rate – DJ Krush
3. Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt – DJ Shadow
4. YEAH RIGHT – Joji
5. Riding For The Feeling – Bill Callahan
6. If The Car Beside You Moves Ahead – James Blake
7. Dance Of The Tempest – Abel Korzeniowski
8. The End – Shlohmo
9. Paradise Circus – Massive Attack
10. Teardrop – Massive Attack
11. Places – Shlohmo
12. Carnivores Unite – Blockhead
13. Undefined – William Ryan Fritch
14. Who’s Gonna Save My Soul – Gnarls Barkley
15. Get Like – Nosaj Thing
16. Berlin – RY X
17. Mélancolie – Patrick Watson
18. Half Empty But Happy – Askjell
19. Hell Is Round The Corner – Tricky
20. Intersectionality – DJ Shadow
The inspiration for They Sold Nightmares and of course the resulting They Sold Nightmares was spun from a conversation about “The Eternal Sleep” and grew from there. Really it’s a further exploration and winding world of sleep, dreams and their alternate version.