“The Origin Of Issues” screenplay revolves around Medusa Phillips and her need to leave the environment dominated by her abuser and assumed ex-boyfriend, Solomon Taor.
Solomon fathered her daughter, but not consensually, and has continued to domineer over her life, suffocating her freedom.
- Dimension – UK Border Patrol
- Bearcubs – Diversions
- Dans Dans – Naiad
- Ólafur Arnalds – Happiness Does Not Wait – 2021 Version
- Mal Waldron – Left Alone – Remastered
- Nosaj Thing – Mountain
- Matty – Selfportrait
- Ivy Lab – When I Go
- Martyn – Frozen Bread Snaps
- Mansur Brown – It’s My Time
- James Blake – Hope She’ll Be Happier
- The Shaolin Afronauts – The Scarab
- Aimee Mann – You Fall
- Ólafur Arnalds – The Invisible Front
- Koreless – Moonlight
- Led Zeppelin – Black Dog
- Gustavo Santaolalla – Insect’s Parade
- Soul Position – No Excuse For Lovin’
- Big L – Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous
- Deantoni Parks – Virtual Self
- Mount Kimble – Black Stone
- DARKSIDE – Narrow Road
- Donny McCaslin – Reckoning
- F.S. Blumm, Nils Frahm – Desert Mule
“The Origin of Issues” story inspiration
In 2002 when I was back in England and DJ Mix CD compilations were all the rage, there was one global underground mix that included Roots Manuva amongst other artists, in which I recall a slowed down, “Welcome to fear.” That stood out as a great title, and for a long time was the working title of this film.
Around the same time I was a huge fan of indie Hip Hop and specifically struck by the collaboration group Soul Position, comprised of producer RJD2 and rapper Blueprint. Their song “No Excuse For Lovin'” struck me as cinematic and the pieces started to meld together to slowly form “The Origin of Issues.”
The character of Solomon grew from acquainted experiences and reading about arrogant, attempting-to-be hyper masculine men who saw the need to puff out their metaphorical chests and push around whoever they could. Especially their partners.
Medusa was a young woman caught up in the mix of trying to grow up too quickly and being caught by the reality of individuals like Solomon. Their initial allure melts away too soon and at that point you discover who you’re truly dealing with. The problem is she became trapped too quickly and unconsciously allowed her options to escape to become dominated by his whims.
You can learn more about the Broken English production of The Origin of Issues by clicking the underlined link.